You may have hiccups after you had a big lunch. Blame it on the muscle that is below your lungs. It is the diaphragm. Diaphragm plays big role in inhaling and exhaling. If there is any disturbance it the breathing system caused by the diaphragm, you end up with hiccups. It usually happens when you eat too much or you eat too fast. Here are some ways to get rid of hiccups.
Related articles about How to get rid of hiccups
1. Utilize a plastic bag: Take a plastic bag and breathe into it. The increase in carbon dioxide will make it normal for you to stop the hiccups. The carbon dioxide cannot escape the plastic bag. The irritation that was caused in the diaphragm will be gone. People try an alternative method when they do not have a plastic bag nearby, they cover with their hands. Do not stop inhaling or exhaling. Breathe normally so that you can put an end to your hiccups.
2. Stick out your tongue: Many people stick out their tongue as an exercise. You cannot take your tongue to jog, but you can always put it out. Keep it out for 20 to 30 seconds or till your hiccups stop. This is an easy way and it is good for the vocal cords. People who sings or have to perform a speech sometimes do this to clear their voice. You are not here to clear your voice but the same remedy will work for you. You will get your diaphragm to be normal when you do this.
3. Drink water: Hiccups are produced by contraction in the diaphragm. Mainly it is a jumpy jolt in the diaphragm. If you can make the diaphragm to contract through one or two ripples it will reset itself and the jolt will be wiped out. If you hold your breath you contract the diaphragm, and when you drink you hold your breath. So by taking along drink you are forcing yourself to hold your breath and hopefully eliminating the jolt. Same principle but it works but drinking water is easier than holding your breath. If you drink water then you can eradicate hiccups. Lack of water in the body can cause hiccups because there is an unbalance in the body. You can reduce your thirst and clear your throat.
4. Having a spoon of sugar: You can have a spoon of sugar. Do not swallow it all at once. Keep the sugar under the tongue and let it sit there. The nerve will get distracted and you will forget about the hiccup. The nerve sends information to the brain. It tells the brain that something great is happening and they ignore the hiccup.
5. Indulge in peanut butter: You can always have a spoonful of peanut butter if the sugar fails. You can reach out for the peanut butter at first even before reaching for the sugar. Peanut butter is known for curing faster than the sugar. People who tried all the other remedies listed above but failed to stop the hiccups, peanut butter worked for them.